4/1/11

History - Exactly How I Like It

Kubla Khan: The Emperor of Everything
Written by Kathleen Krull and Illustrated by Robert Byrd

Short and to the point with a little adventure and great illustrations. Exactly how I believe all history books should be written. For example, does it really take hundreds of pages to learn about a battle or war? For folks like me - heck no! I just want the facts so that I have a general idea of what happened and who the key people were. Pictures make it even better! All history books should be exactly like this one.  

Of course, this book is more of a biography than a history book, but I chose it in hopes of developing a better understanding of the Khan inspired Mongol Empire. I never really knew much about the Khan's other than they were a super scary force to be reckoned with.  

I now know that when they were attempting to conquer the world back in the day (1200's) it was a serious JOB to conquer the world. They did a right fine job of it.  

The author does an excellent job of focusing on the positive effects that Kubla Khan and his mother had on their empire.

Students of any age will enjoy the history/bibliography as well as the illustrations. The art is gorgeous and ties directly to the text.  

Kubla Khan The Emperor of Everything was a much better read than I expected. It's a great tool for history or biography lessons. I highly recommend it - give it a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment