4/17/11

It'll Do



City Dog, Country Frog
Written by Mo Willems
Illustrated by Jon J Muth


The illustrations are very nice, however, the story left me wanting and wondering. I got the feeling that Mo's publishers created this book simply because Mo's name is on it.  

It's not a BAD story, it just didn't feel at all like Mo Willems to me. Friendship wasn't treated as he usually treats it. In this story, friendships don't last and aren't very meaningful. A line that is repeated throughout the story in regards to making new friends is "But you'll do." 

Perhaps the story was written to show that acquaintances come and go throughout our lives?

I was left wondering what happened to the frog.  The story just felt weak and incomplete to me.  Sadly, not Mo's best work, however, like I said, I have the feeling he was pressured to publish.  

Kids will like the illustrations, however, I wouldn't invest in this book for my personal or school library.

Stay tuned for my next Mo Willems review!  It's a good one :)  Despite this not so great book, I still adore Mo!




No comments:

Post a Comment